We think apples are just about the most perfect food around. And we live in upstate NY, where it’s just about the most perfect place to grow apples. Because of this, we are super thrilled to be introducing the APPLE SHARE for this Fall season.
Apple Share members will receive a 1/2 peck of apples of differing varieties each week for eight weeks. That’s about 5-7 lbs or approximately 8-15 apples depending on the size. This will assure that you and your family will always have access to delicious, crisp, local apples at an affordable price.
Apples are delicious, require no preparation and provide plenty of health benefits. In our household, almost year round, we have a bowl of local apples on our counter for kids and adults alike to grab and munch on all day long. And munch, people do! I’ve never met a soul that is allergic to apples. Even the pickiest eaters out there will joyfully crunch a juicy apple. Apples pack easily when you’re on the run. They last a long time when stored properly. Eating an apple even cleans your teeth! (well, I have no sources to confirm this, but it sure feels right to me.)
It’s no accident that we all know the saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Here are a couple of nutritional facts about apples:
- Apples have a low glycemic index, and therefore satisfy your craving for sweetness without elevating your blood sugar.
- At about 80 calories each, apples make the perfect snack, reducing hunger pangs without empty carbohydrates.
- A medium apple offers a heaping 4 grams of fibre, mostly pectin, which is also known for its ability to lower cholesterol.
- An apple can provide about one fifth of your daily dietary fiber for heart health, which is more than a bowl of bran cereal. Less expensive, and more delicious too.
- The fiber in apples slows the release of carbohydrates into the bloodstream, providing the energy you need over time without blood sugar spikes.
- Apples have no fats of any kind, no sodium, and no cholesterol making them an easy treat to feel great about eating.
- Apples provide boron (for bone health), potassium (for heart health) and vitamin C (for immune health and antioxidants)
Note: The standard Fall Share will contain apples (or pears!) every week, so if you are considering both shares, you will have a healthy portion of apples weekly (approximately 15-30) - great for snacking, juicing, canning, baking and more! It's a great bargain too at that volume. Apples will keep for months when stored in a refrigerator or root cellar - just be sure to inspect your stash periodically for bad fruit and discard to prevent further spoilage.