Herb-Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Sage| Recipe by Eric and Bruce Bromberg in Blue Ribbon Cookbook ~Serves 4-6, depending on the size of your bird
- 1 whole chicken (3 - 31/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh sage leaves (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and halved crosswise (for whole chicken only), optional
- 3 celery stalks, cut crosswise into thirds, (for whole chicken only), optional
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into large chunks (for whole chicken only), optional
- Defrost your chicken! I like to defrost it for about 4 hours in a big bowl of water or a small sink filled with water, then marinate it and move it to the fridge overnight.
- Put the chicken in a large bowl. Add the lemon, oil, and sage and toss well. Cover tightly and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for about 24 hours.
- The next day, let the chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while the oven preheats to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with the seasoning. Remove the lemon slices and sage from the marinade and stuff them inside the chicken cavity. Scatter the carrots, celery, and onion, if using, over the bottom of a roasting pan. Pour just enough water into the pan to cover the bottom. Arrange the chicken, breast-side up, on top of the vegetables, if desired, or place the chicken on a roasting rack over the vegetables.
- Transfer the pan to the center oven rack; roast for 20 minutes. Baste with the pan juices, and continue roasting, basting once or twice, for 25 minutes more (if the chicken is not golden-brown all over at this point, continue to cook for another 10 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees and finish roasting, without basting, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes longer. Let the chicken stand for 5 minutes before carving. Serve with the pan juices and vegetables, if desired.
Note: we cut up our chicken and grilled it at around 450 for 10 minutes per side, per piece.
Cherry Tomato Salad
- one head GFC lettuce
- half pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon salad vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Line a small, rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and turn on your broiler. Toss cherry tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes for 10 minutes, or until they are split and shrunken.
- In the meantime, wash and tear lettuce head.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes.
- Put the tomatoes and their escaped juices in a bowl and mash them a bit until each tomato has popped. Add another tablespoon of olive oil (or more, to taste) and a tablespoon of vinegar and stir to combine.
- Toss the tomatoes with the lettuce and serve!