We grill out often during the summer. Especially, pork chops. The other white meat! It is exciting to slather anything grilled with barbecue sauce from a bottle (Sweet Baby Ray’s is the ol’ stand by). That technique is our last resort. We try to make different toppings (chutneys/relishes/salsas) and sauces to accompany our grilled items. With this past weeks share we received golden plums. They are quite yummy on their own but we chose to convert them into chutney. It was a great way to add a little sweet and heat to our grilled pork chops. Note: Make chutney a minimum of 6 hours ahead to get the minimum out of the flavors. Make 1 day ahead and get maximum. And, the only thing we did to the pork was rubbing it lightly with salt and cracked paper. Then add a layer of olive oil to keep it from sticking to the grill grates and add enhance the grilled taste.
- 1 small Sweet Onion (Vidalia or Walla-Walla) Sliced thin then chopped.
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of Yellow Plums – Washed, stems and pits removed then chopped.
- 2-3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Red Bell Pepper – diced for texture and color
- ¼ Curry Powder
- Dash Cinnamon
- Habenero Hot Sauce – Optional adds heat.
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar – less or more to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
Pare away from pit and chop plums. Combine all ingredients. Adjust heat and sweet to taste. Refrigerate minimum 6 hours to get flavors. Top grilled pork when plating meat with a spoonful of this chutney Enjoy!