Kenna Jo created this recipe "to use a surplus of strawberries." She said it "brings a fresh and sweet take on traditional barbecue sauce." It's fantastic over pork or chicken, and it also makes a great sauce to serve with corn bread. Kenna Jo calls that "Strawberry BBQ Shortcake." We used over a quart of Raindance Harvest Strawberries for this recipe. This is what is published: 1 quart whole strawberries = 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds strawberries = 7 cups whole strawberries = 4 cups sliced (1/4-inch thick) strawberries. It is always good to buy some extra berries. OMG - We grilled a pork a pork loin over lump charcoal from Wegman's. Low and slow and finished it with a generous slathering of this sauce. Got it to caramelize just a bit... Strawberries are not just for dessert anymore!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup (Heinz, of course)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
HOW TO PREPARE
- Peal and mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan and saute garlic quick, maybe a minute.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine half of the strawberries, the chili sauce, ketchup, vinegar, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a soft boil and simmer for 20 minutes to thicken. Add the remaining strawberries and cook just until heated through.
- Makes about 5 cups